This week’s shiur (audio recording) concludes a series on aspects of the soul. With Asher Yatzar we looked at man’s ability to exist in and relate to the physical world. This is followed by E-lokai Neshamah, and our connection to heaven and man’s higher calling. Now we look at the universe we hold within our heads, our ability to change and grow, and become better at existence on all three planes.
- Who is holier: people or angels? Who is loftier?
- Being and becoming
- Hislamdus — self awareness, life as a learning experience
- The ruach
- On empty cups: cleaving to G-d and self improvement
- The importance of saying birkhos haTorah
- How many berakhos are there (is ha’Arev its own berakhah), and what kinds of learning require the berakhos?
- Is the berakhos on learning Torah, or on the Torah lifestyle as a whole?
- Meaning of the words and phrases.
- The progression from learning, “sweetening”, remembering, carrying to future generations, and getting protection by being the Torah’s guarantor.
- Torah as a means of growth — a tool for “becoming”.